Naming a Limited Liability Company (Perseroan Terbatas) can be a troublesome activity in Indonesia. The name of the company must be checked and registered in Ministry of Law and Human Right at the beginning of Company Formation Process. This process is carried out by a Public Notary and can take 3-5 working days.
The investor must follow below mentioned regulation in deciding the name for his/her company:
- Limited Liability Companies (Perseroan Terbatas) in Indonesia are prohibted to use names which:
- have legitimately been used by another Limited Liability Company (Perseroan Terbatas) or are essentially same as the name of another Company;
- contrary to public order and/or ethics;
- are alike or identical to names of state Institutions, Government Agencies , or International Institutions, except only which are autorized by those concerned;
- are not in accordance with the intent, objective as well as business activities of the Limited Liability Company (Perseroan Terbatas) or only imply the purpose and objective of the Company without an appropriate name;
- are composed of numbers, letters, characters or combination of aforementioned which do not form a meaningful word/words;
- possess the meaning equivalent to a Company, Legal Entity, or Government Organisation.
- The phrase “Perseroan Terbatas” (Limited Liability Company) or the abbreviation “PT” must be prefixed berfore all the company names. (i.e. PT. ABC Indonesia, PT. XYZ etc.)
- In the case of a Public Company (Perseroan Terbuka), apart from “PT” as prefix, the abbreviation “Tbk” shall be added at the end of the Company’s name.