To study in Indonesia a foreign student must fulfil following requirements:
- meet academic requirements to study in Indonesia;
- have a financial source to cover the residence and education expenses during the stay in Indonesia;
- accepted by an Indonesian Education Institute as student;
- has a recommendation letter from the Secretariat General of Ministry of Education and Culture of Republic of Indonesia;
- have a visa or residence permit in Indonesia; and
- comply with laws and regulations for higher studies in Indonesia.
Foreign students to who are accepted by Indonesian Educational Institutes to study in Indonesia are issued with a Student KITAS (Limited Stay Permit). This KITAS can only be sponsored by an educational institute which legally registered with Ministry of Education and Culture of Republic of Indonesia (Kementerian Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan RI). Student KITAS requires a recommendation letter from Ministry of Education and Culture of Republic of Indonesia (Kementerian Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan RI), based on that recommendation the Approval Visa/Telex is issued by Directorate General of Immigration (Dirjen Imigrasi).
The maximum validity of student KITAS can be 2 years and it can be extended maximum 2 times. Each time the extension is granted for a maximum of period of 2 years.
The documents required to process Student KITAS are as follows:
- Copy of passport of student (minimum validity of 18 months for 1 year and 36 months for 2 years Student KITAS);
- Copy of Birth Certificate and Family Register of student;
- 2 (two) passport sized (4cmX6cm) photographs in white background;
- Copy of passports of parents/sponsor;
- Statement Letter signed by sponsor which confirms the financial guarantee during the stay in Indonesia;
- Statement Letter signed by student to confirm that student will not engage in working activities during the stay in Indonesia;
- Acceptance Letter from the Indonesian Educational Institute;
- Recommendation from Secretariat General of Ministry of Education and Culture of Republic of Indonesia;
- Copy of previous transcripts and educational certificates; and
- Name of nearest Indonesian embassy or Consulate to stamp visa (i.e. Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Bangkok etc.)
- Upon the receipt of required documents, AJ Consultants will apply for Visa Approval/Telex at office of Directorate General of Immigration (Dirjen Imigrasi).
- Office of Directorate General of Immigration (Dirjen Imigrasi) issues Visa Approval/Telex in 3-5 working days. An automatic notification of the approval is sent to Indonesian Embassy or Consulate which is chosen by the applicant.
- AJ Consultants sends a copy of Visa Approval/Telex to applicant with instruction to stamp the visa (VITAS) at selected Indonesian Embassy or Consulate. Applicant then visits the Indonesian Embassy or Consulate for the stamping of Visa (VITAS) in his/her passport. The procedure and requirements for the visa stamping may vary Embassy to Embassy. Once the Visa (VITAS) is stamped, applicant will have 90 days to enter Indonesia.
- After entering Indonesia, the applicant handovers the original passport to AJ Consultants for further conversion of visa (VITAS) into KITAS (Limited Stay Permit). During this process applicant will be visiting Immigration office once for Biometrics and interview.
- 3-4 days after the biometrics and interview immigration office will return the passport along with electronic KITAS to the applicant. The applicant is then free to travel from and to Indonesia for the period of KITAS validity.